Tuesday 2 December 2014

Lox, Dreads or Natty Part 2

My Hair Journey, a.k.a #MyHairJourney.

I start off with this phrase because as these thoughts were percolating in my head that’s the line that stood out. Why wouldn’t it? It aptly describes what I was ruminating anyway thanks to recent conversations amongst friends. Talking about hair and journeys sent me to take a good look at myself in the mirror ( something I hardly do, and you know I don’t because you would at some point in time jokingly say: Glen wha gwan fi you, while scanning my head and face). I sighed just a little while looking at ‘The Bush’ and thought oh how far I’ve come or fallen depending on how half full or empty the glass is (LOL – yes I just LOL’d, ‘llow me). My eyes examined my face and head from the mass of fuzz from which my thick lox erupted, to the flakes of immortal dry scalp that no amount of oil or shampoo or Tea-tree could murder or render extinct to the hazardous scruff that multiplies on my face calling itself beard. I said Fuck It and went about my business.

Fuck It. Two words I would never have said about my precious lox 3-4 years ago. See my hair journey began a year or so before my daughter, Eva, began Kindergarten (she’s in grade 4 now, do the math). During those early years of Loxification (my word) My lox was like my first child (parents you know what I mean, you peeping and worrying every five minutes, the child kya sneeze or cough, they kya fall or touch ground, breeze kya blow on them) that was me and my lox. I was stressing, fussing, pampering and always ogling. What products should I use, why it taking so long to grow, why it fuzzing so much, YouTubing, surfing, Blogging, researching all kinda shit and all the while Lox-envying everybody who had longer, fuller, more mannersable lox than mine. It was akin to warfare those beginning years, battling negative comments, being self-conscious clinging with faith to words of encouragement i.e: de lox will come man; it going to look mad when it grow out. I used to be at my hairdresser every two weeks like clockwork on a Saturday morning. Now a few years on and a foot and a half or more of thick, fuzzy ropes I am now that parent whose first child is knocking on the door of adolescence and the third child going on like he 2 going on 30. So I say Fuck It, grab two lengths of lox, tie them in a knot behind my head and go about my day.

The lox must come…. I know that now. It was advice that I held on to, and advice I gave to friends who came along that journey as well. I also found out that hair has its own personality and will do what it wants. I chose to ‘llow it and embrace it. I oil it, twist it and leave it unless my hairdresser bullies me into styling it, sigh, damn these hairdressers, I love them though.

I won’t end without mentioning reactions….
…………..
There is no end to reactions concerning lox, granted I give and I receive. I once saw a Martinique-ian woman with lox that were so thick and dark and beautiful I had to comment, I wanted to touch it just reach out and caress it….I now understand why there are persons who approach me with the same vibe…please ask and resist touching (don’t know where your hand been lol).  I find lox beautiful, in all its forms, iterations, incarnations etc. I can’t just let my lox grow though despite the fact I just let it hang until the next hair appoint 4-6 weeks from the last, I’m not that brave. My favourite reactions hands down would be the ones that are stereotypically reserved for the Rootsman. There is no end of nods, Big-ups, ‘ail-ups, ‘yes breddren’, ‘yes Rasta’…., there is also that faint look of admiration in the eyes of those who are too scared to, can’t grow, aren’t allowed to, or used to. People get out of your way, watch what they say…all sort of things and I’m amused each and every time. It’s my secret vanity as well I’ll admit. Just today while I was walking the streets bookmarking points in my head for this blog the way Shaka does in Joanne Hillhouse’s Musical Youth, a Rastaman in full regalia flash me the ‘ail-up and a nod: ‘respect’ and moves on…you know the hail: it’s when the right hand is positioned over the heart resembling one half of a clasped hand for prayer…yea, that. I guess the beard also adds to the overall look, who knows.

Phew…I needed to get that out, I know I have far to go still on My Hair Journey but I just wanted to share this much.


Blessings Rasta

No comments:

Post a Comment